Open to exceptional undergraduate and graduate students studying plant biology, the ASPB Conviron Scholars Program delivers an experience that is intended to serve as the foundation for a career in plant science. Applications welcome from any country. Students who apply to the program must be in good academic standing (verified by their Pl or department head) and must demonstrate a commitment to plant science.
This program includes:
- 1-year membership in ASPB, the professional society for plant biologists. This gives you on line access to The Plant CellPlant Physiology, and Teaching Tools in Plant Biology, among many other benefits.
- Individual virtual mentoring/resume review sessions with an established plant science professional
- Private online group network for ongoing discussions, peer-to-peer feedback and Q&A
- Opportunities for interaction with plant biologists who have taken different career tracks, including university research, industry, conservation and plant protection, agronomy, publications, policy, education and outreach.
- A hands-on learning program that includes career seminars, round-table discussions, and workshops that help develop skills for success. Topics could include:
- Writing: including both writing for scientists as well as writing for the general public
- Career Planning: including virtual panel discussions with plant scientist in various fields and a chance to interview a plant scientist of your choice about their career path
- Professional Presentation: learn how to improve your presentation skills
- Video Production: including a chance to submit your own 3-minute video
- Leadership: including a virtual panel discussion with leaders of ASPB
- A limited number of competitive travel grants to attend Plant Biology 2020 in Washington, DC.
Participants will receive a certificate of completion and letter of recommendation after successful completion of the program.
- 2 references – one must be your current PI or professor. Other must be able to speak to your academic or professional experience
- Brief essay on why you have chosen to study plant science
- Brief essay on your plant science career goals
- Brief statement of career and educational experiences
- Brief statement of volunteer and leadership experiences
Applicants must also agree that if accepted, they will provide a bio and photo within seven days that may be used by ASPB or Conviron for promotional purposes.
Please apply online
Initial application deadline: December 2, 2019.
To learn more, visit aspb.org/conviron.