The 6th Africa Agriculture Science Week will be held from 15th – 20th July 2013 at the International Conference Centre, Accra, Ghana.Convened every three years by the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) the Africa Agriculture Science Week is a continental gathering of all stakeholders involved in African agricultural development.
The meeting brings together representatives of FARA’s constituents from all African and non-African institutions involved in African agricultural research and development, such as the sub-regional organisations (ASARECA, CORAF/WECARD, Centre for Coordination of Agricultural Research and Development for Southern Africa, CCARDESA, and North African Sub Regional Organisation, NASRO); farmer and pastoralists’ organisations; and agricultural research and educational institutions and universities. Other participants include non-governmental organisations (NGOs) working in agriculture, national agricultural research systems (NARS), non-African advanced research institutions (ARIs), the international agricultural research centres (IARCs), international NGOs, policy makers, the private sector, government ministries, parliamentary sub-committees on agriculture, and Africa’s development partners.
Inspired by the fact that Africa has the potential to feed itself, given that 60 percent of its arable land remains unused and the remaining 40 percent bears crops with low yields, the theme of the 6th Africa Agriculture Science Week is Africa Feeding Africa through Agricultural Science and Innovation. Sub-themes cover education and human-resource development, innovations to improve crop productivity and resilience, moving beyond competition to collaboration, and innovative options for financing and investment in agriculture.
The event, which will incorporate the FARA General Assembly, will review progress since the last meeting, determine the African regional agricultural agenda for the next three years, celebrate the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme(CAADP), and review issues related to FARA’s programme, governance, leadership and secretariat.
The meeting website provides information on the broad programme; the themes, objectives and outputs of the meeting; the 6th FARA General Assembly; the meeting venue and accommodation; and registration requirements and processes.